The Ultra pod system has been constructed with reliability and safety built-in as standard to ensure the comfort and security of its passengers.
Overseen by experienced controllers, Ultra’s automated pod system minimises risk by removing opportunities for human error.
Passenger safety has been ensured through the following systems:
- Continuous CCTV and black box monitoring of all pods and two-way communication with central control
- An independent Automatic Vehicle Protection system that protects against pod collision on the guideway
- Safety interlocks between the brakes, motor and doors
- Emergency exits, smoke detectors and fire extinguishers fitted in all pods
- Self-monitoring vehicles that identify possible maintenance issues before they arise
- Emergency escape routes, suitable for evacuation on foot
Passengers may contact the system controller at any time, and the controller can talk to the passengers, see them via onboard CCTV, and respond to any concerns immediately.
Ultra’s pod system is compliant with the appropriate sections of the Railway and Other Guided Transport Systems (ROGS) guidelines. Under the guidelines, a competent person must be appointed to ensure that potential health and safety issues are addressed; at the Heathrow Airport pod system this role is performed by a group of knowledgeable and experienced industry professionals known as the “safety verification team”.
The system is also compatible with US regulatory requirements.
Download the PDF below for detailed information on reliability, safety and testing.